Friday, February 18, 2011

Finishing up the UFO's and making NEW Stuff!

This has been a long time in coming! Since I have my wonderful Long Arm Quilting Machine, I have been able to really get some projects finished up and also some new ones done. Can you tell that I am loving my Long Arm? :o)

Below is what I have titled Sunlight and Shadows. These blocks were from a swap that we did in 2009. The criteria of the swap was this; the birthday person chose the block that they wanted made and included instructions on the colors that were to be used in the block. I chose this blcok because I loved the contrast of lights and darks. The blocks came from Australia, Denmark, Canada and states scattered across the US. I will cherish these friendships!

Below are a couple of samples of the quilting designs I used for the Sunlight and Shadows Quilt.


This is the tag I made to go on the back of the above quilt. I made 2 inch blocks as a replica of the larger 12 inch blocks on the quilt top. These were very tine pieces and all the seams do not match up exactly, but I loved making this label!!

The quilt below is entitled "Buzz Saw" This quilt was from a swap as well. Our quilt group in Firth, ID exchanged 9 inch half square triangles with an 8 x 2 inch strip of the same fabric. The colors were all country colors with a cream/tan background. The half square triangle blocks were then cut into 2 inch strips; then sewn back together. I loved Terry Anderson's idea of the buzz saw block extending out into the border. I used my scraps to complete the outer border. of the quilt. Thank you ladies for a FUN, FUN swap!!!
Below are some close up samples of the quilting I used in the Buzz Saw Quilt.

Again I made a miniature block of the Buzz Saw block for the tag on the back. I did not, however, use a half square triangle. I cut and sewed each angled piece and put them together to form the buzz saw. It was very interesting to say the least! :o)


In my Electric Quilt Newsletter this month this Calendar Keeper pattern was there. Also Andrea Bishop gave a challenge for a block of the month. I thought how fun it would be to combine the 2. The large block is the challenge for January. If you will notice, I made a miniature of the larger block at the bottom of the "March" hanging. My goal is to make a block and the month name for each month of the year. As you can see, I am working ahead, not behind! LOL

This is my very first large quilt done on my long arm. It is from Bonnie Hunter's "Quiltville" website. The quilt is entitled Scrapy Happy Houses. The scraps I used were all novelty prints. It was a great way to use these prints. This was a fun quilt to make and now it is keeping us warm during this cold New Mexico winter!!
The San Juan Quilt Guild invited me to teach a class on the Spider Web Quilt block. I had used this method to make a table topper. It is posted in one of my previous posts. I wanted to show how different this block could look. Below. I chose a focus fabric and then grabbed scraps from my scrap bucket that coordinated with my focus fabric. I loved how this pillow turned out! I especially love working with the scraps that I already have. (BTW... my class got canceled due to a snow storm! I will reschedule.... :o)

Below is another sample of using the Spiderweb pattern. This time I controlled the width of my strips. and put the circle in the center instead of the star. This will be a nice 4th of July topper for my table. The Spiderweb block is so versatile. And.... another fun way to use up scraps.

I hope you have enjoyed this post! Be sure and leave a comment. I love hearing from you!!






4 comments:

  1. Susan, you are working up a storm. I am sure it's nice to get some things finished up. Love seeing all of your work. Your quilting on the long arm looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get so good on your long arm so quick? Could you come back and help me? I have not really had a chance to get going. Being laid up I can't stand for very long to even quilt. I did finish our Valentine table topper from retreat though. I am trying to finish up my fall retreat quilt as well. I love all of your stuff. I think your fall table topper turned out great. I am looking forward to April. I need some tips for my long arm. We miss you but you look like you are getting into things in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, you got a long arm?? which one did you get? Sorry about you being laid up. It looks like we need to TALK!! Can't wait for retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your work Susan, I am going to learn to machine quilt. But it will nothing like yours.
    Jean (Australia)

    ReplyDelete