Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Robin Family

This spring a nest was in the process of being built on our electricity meter on the back of our house. For some time we didn't know what kind of bird was building the nest. We watched and waited to see who the tenant would be. To our pleasant surprise, it was a Robin! Finally her nest was finished. Then the eggs were laid. Mrs. Robin sat on her nest hour by hour. She would fly when we opened the door to go out on our deck, but soon she was comfortable with us being there. We could almost walk up to her nest without her moving. It was fun watching her sit there. We were anticipating being able to see the new little feather balls that would hatch.

One weekend we were gone for three days. When we returned and went out in our backyard, Mrs. Robin was very agitated! She would fly at us; just skimming the tops of our head. The thought came to me that maybe her eggs had hatched, but we couldn't really see anything in the nest. But she was still VERY agitated when we even walked out the door.

A couple of days later, a carefully polked my head outside the door and sure enough, there was Mrs. Robin standing by her nest and three little beaks were high in the air. She was feeding them. (Wish I had my camera then!)

Today, Mrs. Robin is still agitated. Below is a picture of her just before she flew right at me! She was posed on the roof just above her babies.

She then flew on her nest several times, but I didn't have my camera ready. FINALLY, I was ready! Here is a family photo. The little ones are interested in eating. Mama is interested in ME moving away from her little ones!! You can see them reaching up to her. The next shot is an "I WANT FOOD" shot. Their beaks are fully open and ready!



Here is just a shot of the babies in their nest. They have almost outgrown their home. One day, they will try their wings. I just hope the neighbor's cat doesn't get them. That would be sad!


Here is Mrs. Robin guarding her little flock. The apple tree is right beside her nest. She seems to like sitting there to keep watch over her flock by day and by night. :o)

It has been fun watching her. Although the buzz over the head is not that GREAT!! Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to watch Nature? I enjoy sitting on my porch and watch the birds inter act with each other...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love your pictures of Mama Robin and her babies. I have a shot of Mama and Papa Canada Goose and their 6 babies on my pond and, like your shot, I had to be careful not to spook the goose! Love your blog AND your mock up of the Oct. Quilt for your retreat. That is ONE pattern I would love to have. Shame I can't do your retreat . Have a great day and please do keep in touch. - Terri at the Drake's Nest in Ossineke, MI where Giant River Otters play on my pond!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    I'm so glad you will continute to post the Neat and Nifty Nine Patch patterns here. Two springs ago we had a robin build a nest in exactly the same spot on our house as your robin did this year. Such fun to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to have you all here at my blog! I will try to make it interesting and fun. Love to have your comments! :o)

    ReplyDelete